Skip to content

Advisory Board Minutes for May 20, 2019

July 10, 2019

Walnut Creek Seniors Club
Advisory Board Meeting
May 20, 2019

 

The meeting was called to order at 9:34 am by President Annette Hammond.

 

Present: Annette Hammond, Jody Johnson, Bob Mohler, Cindy Mohler, Kent Clancy, Rolando Salazar, Barbara Bacon, Fred Rentschler, Wayne Slater, Mark Pitzlin, Jeanne Wolf.  Also in attendance were Carolyn Jackson, Vannessa Cendejas, Stacy Miller (staff) and Fred Weston from PROS. Member Guest Robert Joe.

  1. Approval of Agenda – approved.

Approval of Minutes – approved

Treasurer’s Report – Bob reported that as of April 30, 2019 there is $59,979 in unrestricted funds and $24,588 in restricted funds for a total of $84,567.  The larger of the two certificates of deposit ($112,885) has been renewed at 2.45% interest until 10-22-20.  It won’t be possible to have a credit card for WCSC as it would have to be an individual it is tied too. Therefore there is an incidental petty cash fund that can by used by City staff for miscellaneous items.  The Cinco de Mayo Bingo had 54 players, with about $300 paid to Melanie and it came to a loss of about $400. The Pleasant Hill Trips account is currently showing a profit, however, that is only because we are collecting the money from the members before we are paying the Travel Center.  The profit shown is only a timing difference and the actual profit is currently around $0.00. The WCSC is continuing to show a positive cash flow.  The Creakers have submitted an agreement between the Creakers and Berean Christian High School regarding a John Deer Gator Utility Cart. The Creakers donated $2000 toward the purchase of the Cart. Berean will maintain full ownership and both Berean and Creakers will have use of the cart. Bob made a motion to approve the contract with Berean and it was seconded by Barbara. The motion carried.

Correspondence – none

 

  1. Manager/Coordinator Update
    1. Carolyn Jackson – The new director will be Kat Reisinger and she will start May 28th. She is recently from Mill Valley, CA. On May 23rd the back parking lot will be closed for tree removal. Bingo got notification. The HVAC replacement for the Community Center will be in July. There is no date for the ADA compliance of the doors in the Community Center and the Assembly Hall. Wayne asked about the poor striping in the back parking lot and Carolyn will look into it.
    2. Vannessa Cendejas- Habitat for Humanity will do a talk on home repair program and ADA help for homes on May 22nd. June 4th is Giving in Gratitude and will be at ARF (Animal Rescue Foundation) from 8 am to noon. June 5th is Theater Thursday and 30 have signed up so far. It will be Crimes of the Heart. June 16th is Lunch and Learn and will be a presentation by the CHP- Drive Smart Program 9:30 to 11:30 am.  July 25th is Plant and Wine night and Market Day will be June 11 and July 9 – outside. Attendance has run to about 90 people. The leftovers go to Trinity Center.
    3. Stacy Miller – The small cabinet by the door and used by the Bazaar Group has been removed (for ADA door) and there will be shelves put into the large cabinet. She will be meeting with the Bazaar Group about their future plans. Sing Along has asked about having the piano in the Lounge tuned. A motion was made by Wayne and seconded by Jody that we allocate $200 for the piano to be tuned. The motion carried. The Ice Cream social will be July 12th from 12:30 – 2 pm.

 

  • Unfinished Business
    1. Cinco de Mayo – Melanie was in charge. There were 53 attendees (lower than the usual 70). The food was found to be good (and hot this time). It lost money as reported above by the Treasurer.
    2. Consultant – Wayne looked into hiring a consultant to help the Board with planning for the future. He didn’t find anyone but did look at the website of the National Center on Aging and found information. Nationally the average age of members of senior clubs is 75 years old. Additionally, Wayne had a handout of traits of different ages and information on one senior center and its activities. Of note is that the senior center had computer (tablets) available for members. These would be only for seniors and there should be someone to help with their use. Should we pursue this? Carolyn was concerned where the computers would be stored. She will look into it. Also, there needs to be a room available. Where would the computers charge or be hooked up? It was decided that a committee would look into it – Wayne, Fred and Rolando.
    3. Pancake Breakfast – Jody reported that another volunteer is needed. Also, currently the hours are 9-11:45 am. Should it be changed that no breakfast would be served after 11 am as there are very few people coming after 11 am. It was agreed the 9-11 am time will start in January and people will be notified starting next month. In addition, there was discussion of changing the date to the 2nd Sunday rather than the first Sunday so it wouldn’t conflict with other cities. Stacy stated that she will need to talk to the church first and she will follow up with that.
    4. Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the City – Kent asked that as the MOU states that the City will actively help increase membership, can more be done by them? Article in the Nutshell? Etc. Stacy will pitch it to the City. Need a good story for it.
    5. Conversation and Coffee – Jody stated that there were 9, 8, 6 attendees for the first 3 times and people seemed to enjoy it. The next one is June 10th. At one, games were played. Robert Joe, visiting member at the Board meeting, wanted to know why the games were dropped. He thinks people would come for a poker game. Barbara asked if we should have a topic for each meeting. Robert Joe will look into starting a poker group and will do a proposal.
    6. Questions for Kevin – postponed to next month

 

  1. New Business
  2. Social in June – This will be June 21st. Barbara needs more sign up for helping that day. It is a Luau theme and there will be decorations. She is proposing entertainment of a ukulele player for two hours for $250. Stacy will get the ABC license (liquor). We are estimating about 50 people.
  3. Creaker Bylaw Proposal – Fred and Bob reviewed it to be sure there is no conflict with WCSC bylaws. Kent reviewed also and stated that he hadn’t seen a sign off before. Fred is concerned about conflict. Kent will meet with them and look into “supercede” language.
  4. Presentation – Robert Joe is working on a request for a presentation on Climate Change.
  5. Trips – Jody and Annette will be raising prices on a few trips to prevent loses.

Ambassador Reports – Cindy Mohler asked for authorization to have brochures   about the Senior Club (tri-fold) printed.  She will send to Vannessa.

PROS – Fred stated that there have been some payment and rental fee changes at Heather Farm. He is working on Capital Investment Program.

 

Meeting was adjourned

 

Next meeting is June 17, 3019

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Jeanne Wolf (with some help at the end by Rolando)

 

Advertisements

From → News

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: