Skip to content

Advisory Board Minutes for August 19, 2019

October 9, 2019

Walnut Creek Seniors Club
Advisory Board Meeting
August 19, 2019


The meeting was called to order at 9:34 am by President Annette Hammond.


Present: Annette Hammond, Jody Johnson, Bob Mohler, Cindy Mohler, Mark Pitzlin, Fred Rentschler, Rolando Salazar, Kent Clancy, Wayne Slater, Jeanne Wolf.  Also in attendance were Kat Reisinger, Carolyn Jackson, Vannessa Cendejas (staff) and Fred Weston (PROS).

  1. Approval of Agenda – two items added: Pancake Breakfast and Annual Audit

Approval of Minutes – approved

Treasurer’s Report – Bob stated that July was another month where we spent less than was taken in.  Total Funds as of July 31, 2019 were $270,380 with $77,899 in checking.  Total funds have increase over last year by approximately $31,000. See Balance Sheet attached for details.

Correspondence – none


  1. Manager/Coordinator
    1. Vannessa – Summer classes have ended and fall registration has started. On September 24 is Lunch and Learn on Dementia and so far 30 people have signed up.
    2. Stacy – The fall Friday Social will be on September 20th from 1:30-3:30 pm. The theme is Harvest Hoedown and there will be country finger food, wine and soft drinks. The cost is $10 and $5 for volunteers who work at the event..
    3. Kat – Last friday was Grandparents day at the Larkey Park pool and there were 10 attendees sponsored by WCSC. Kat felt the Facebook advertising was successful. She got 3 inquires about WCSC. There was agreement amongst the Board members that we should look into more activities for grandparents and grandchildren.

Kat handed out a graph (attached) showing WCSC membership from 2010 to 8-9-19.  It has gone from 2487 in 2010 to 1789 in 2019. There has been a jump in the last couple of years from the low of 1533 in 2017 (Lyft?).

Kat handed out a summary of the Arts and Rec Department mission statement, employees and their duties (attached). She explained how the Seniors in Walnut Creek overlap other programs (see graph).  Kat introduced Dorothea Schmuck who will be overseeing transportation, the Lyft program etc. There was some concern expressed about the duties of the front desk WCSC volunteer and the City receptionist.  A committee was set to go over this – Kat, Bob, Mark, Annette or Christa.

Kat stated that the City is looking at a $5 million deficit next year. She will discuss that rest of her handout next Board meeting.




  • Unfinished Business
    1. Pancake Breakfast – Attendance is still down. Jody noticed that people from the church service adjacent have not been invited. Jody and JD will let them know they are welcome.  Right now there are only about 50 people who come.  There was discussion about increasing attendance. Do we need to change the banner so it doesn’t appear that the Pancake Breakfast is only for seniors – rather it is sponsored by the WCSC?
    2. Logo – Annette and Jody worked with Melanie to come up with a logo for WCSC and examples were handed out
    3. John Muir Hospital Agreement – Bob stated that it is completed but not signed yet. It is $10,000 for the Lyft program. There is a 2nd agreement with the City wherein all responsibility in the grant is passed to the City. When signed, the money goes to the City within 14 days. Bob recommends that the Board goes forward with the agreement. Kat will email a copy to the Board members and a vote can be taken next meeting.
    4. Speaker Series – Jody has talked to Susie Hanson from Walnut Creek Opera and she will discuss dates for Susie to give a talk. Bob Simmons would like to talk about Walnut Creek  He will give some dates. Jody also talked to Tim at Boundary Oak about a tour of the remodeled facility with wine and beer at the end (provided by WCSC).
    5. Kevin Safine, Director of Arts and Rec – we will postpone our meeting with him until November. Annette will contact him.


  1. New Business
    1. Social in December- Robin Wolf is going to be in charge. It will be in the Assembly Hall December 11th.  Annette will discuss further with Robin.
    2. Donations – There has been over $3000 in donations. The question is whether we should specify a purpose for the donations if none were specified. This will be discussed again next meeting.
    3. General Meeting – This will be held in January and all members will be invited to attend. The Board will discuss the activities, etc. We need to discuss how we can get a good turn out. Need a date.
    4. Annual Audit – The annual audit will be this month. The auditors are Wayne, Barbara and Rolando.

Trips – they are going very well although one trip had to be cancelled. The next 6 months will be planned on September 11th. It was suggested that the trips be advertised at the annual meeting.


Ambassadors Reports – No reports but Fred noted that the Bazaar group is down to 9 attendees.  Jody will discuss with them.  Smaller room?


PROS – Fred Weston stated that work is being done on Your Parks, Your Future and a mission statement will be drafted.  On October 21 there will be a prioritization of rec programs.  There are budget limitations with the City and there will need to be a decision on facilities to repair or replace.


Logo vote was held and Annette will notify Melanie so she can distribute the logo for use.


The meeting was adjourned at 11:40 am.


Respectfully submitted,

Jeanne Wolf



From → News

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: